||Robert Erwin Johnson
||Coast Guard Historian's Office
- - - - - - download - - - - - -
The very first section of the Act about the establishing of the USCG, standing for the US Coast Guard, which was signed by President Wilson in 1915, did state that this entity should constitute an integral part of the American military forces, operating as a part of the American Navy fleet, and acting following the direct orders of the US Navy's secretary or directed by the President. Subject Act has not actually specified the duties of the smaller service also forming a part of the US Navy; however, in the course of the First World War, American cutters serves as the escort and patrol ships, six of the larger vessels involved in escorting the convoys in the war area. Cutter sailing in home waters also served as the training facilities for the naval personnel; many of their crew members worked on the smaller naval ships and armed yachts. When the older destroyers of the American Navy were given to the USCG to perform the prohibition-enforcement duties, and when numerous of the oldest ones were actually planned for disposal, six flush-deckers have been received by the Coast Guard. All of them have been eventually sent back to the Navy fleet by 1934; however, the final success of the Coast Guard in operating those vessels made manning such vessels during war one of the logical responsibilities of the Coast Guard...